National School Lunch Program
The National School Breakfast/Lunch Program program allows families to qualify for free or reduced breakfast and lunch for their school age children. A new application will be sent home with each child in the school district at the beginning of the school year.
If your family has already been on this program, or if you would like to apply for this program, there is critical information that you need to be aware of.
• A NEW APPLICATION MUST BE COMPLETED EACH YEAR.. One per family. Your application is only good for the current school year.
• The application must be filled out completely. If not, the process is held up until we receive the needed information. Please include a good home/cell phone number so we may contact you if we have any questions about your application.
• Federal law allows Food Service 10 days from receiving your application in our department to process your paperwork. Until you receive notification from ECISD’s Food service Department of approval, you must supply your student(s) with money to pay for his/her meal(s) or have your student(s) bring a breakfast/ lunch from home. • Breakfast is $.75 and Lunch is $1.75. We use a computerized debit system that allows parents to deposit money into their student(s) account for purchase of meals, milk and snacks. This can be done with cash or checks, for your convenience
• If you have a Pre-Kindergarten student entering the school district 2007-2008, and have already filled out a National School Breakfast/Lunch application, you will be asked to fill out a new application at the beginning of the school year. The reason for this is that pre-registration for Pre-Kindergarten is in April/May, but the new Federal application does not come out until July. We apologize for this inconvenience, but it is out of our hands.
• At the beginning of October, ECISD Food service conducts a verification of the National School Breakfast/Lunch Program applicants. This is a federal requirement. This verification is based on income or food stamp information from the application already submitted. A letter will be sent, notifying you that you have been chosen for the process of verification.
The National School Breakfast/Lunch Program is a wonderful program that allows the school district to assure that every student is fed a nutritional meal. The school district also benefits beyond this program. Other federal and state government programs that benefit all students are based on the results of the National School Breakfast/Lunch Program application process. It is to everyone’s advantage to fill out the application, whether it is used or not. Thank you again for your support and have a great summer. Danielle Stewart Director Food Service El Campo ISD 979-543-4262